Here are some of my favorite resources for runners and marathoners. I will also be posting about many of these topics in the future. Please email me with additions and feedback!
- Hal Higdon’s Novice Supreme Marathon Training Schedule (the schedule I used for my first marathon)
- Jeff Galloway’s Walk/Run Marathon Training Schedule (recommended for walkers or new runners)
- Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen - Fascinating true story of a race between several ultra-runners and a tribe known for it’s natural running abilities. One of my favorite running books!
- 26.2: Marathon Stories – Inspiring stories and photographs chronicling the history of the marathon. I flip through this to psych myself up before long runs.
- Four Months to a Four-hour Marathon- A great training resource that I used for my first marathon.
I like to watch inspirational running movies on evenings before my long runs! Here are a few of my favorites.
- Run for Your Life – Documentary about the history of the New York Marathon. A must-see for anyone planning to run New York!
- Chariots of Fire
- Spirit of the Marathon – Documentary about several runners (from professional to amateur) preparing for their next marathon.
- Forrest Gump – A fun movie with lots of running!
Calendar of marathons:
Marathon Guide has calendars for United States-based and International marathons.
Runner’s World has some great additional tips and resources about injury treatment.